Written by Pavan Kumar on September 1, 2008
MyToday is a great free sms service supporting almost all carriers in India. They have a very huge user database with about 10k members joining their service everyday. They offer different sms services like news, cricket, health, quotes, word,…
MyToday supports sms group feature called MOBs. These MOBs will have an administrator who will take up all administrative activities like adding new members, giving publisher rights, approving members,… In the web interface of MyToday, you can find all the published messages and all the members of the MOB. They even give you chance to make your MOB as public or private.
Another great feature from MyToday was feed updates. Yes! You could get updates on mobile as sms when your favorite site publishes an article. The top popular article on techpavan.com about getting orkut scraps on mobile was using that feature of MyToday which no more works.
Though I am using it for quite long time, in my view MyToday MOB feature is a crap. Here are the reasons why I consider that:
- Privacy is not assured: MyToday does not sell your phone numbers to anyone, but your phone numbers can easily be accessed by the MOB admin.
- Not Instant Messaging: MyToday used to offer a very great service with MOBs initially, and they stopped the service for an upgrade. After that up(?)grade, this feature has lot of flaws. The message sent to the group will be published sometime in the night when they have less sms traffic or that may not be published at all, but still you can access them on their web interface.
- Inconvenient format: If you want to form a MOB, you need to select a keyword for your mob which is at least 5 characters long. And to publish a message onto the mob, you need to send an sms like PUB KEYWORD YOUR-MSG which becomes an inconvenient part for regular sms purposes.
- Crappy web interface: MyToday website is one of the high traffic websites in India and alexa ranks it 2700 in India. But this is only website I have seen with such a good traffic but a poor user interface. When you join any MOB of MyToday, you will only be able to stop receiving sms from that, but cannot be able to delete that from your profile. Same case with RSS feeds added to MyToday which they have stopped serving now. They have stopped serving this feature now, but the web interface still accepts adding different feeds.
- No modification in MOB category: As I told, a MOB may be public or private. But, you can only decide that during the creation of MOB. Once a MOB is created as private, you cannot make it public at any time.
Though this MyToday has few minus points, I still recommend that because no other service in India can beat them. These days Vakow is making its way, but features and service they provide is entirely different than MyToday.
People who liked this also read: