Written by Pavan Kumar on May 2, 2010
Looking at the title, you might be thinking about some marketing offer or some contest where you can win some domain privacy deals. But what I have found now, looks like a bug and I wish my readers to take full advantage of this before it is fixed.
Sometime back, I had updated you about Name.com for its unbelievable cheap .com/.net domain offers and cheap .im domain name offer. Though they don’t exist anymore, you now have another very good chance to grab without even requiring a credit card. All you need is a domain registered with Name.com.
Domain whois privacy used to be a free package (at Name.com) with domain name until few months in past. Recently when I registered a new domain, I observed that it is no more free and we need to pay $1.99 for privacy. Also the domain name prices have gone bit higher compared to what they used to be.
What is Whois Privacy?
Domain Privacy / Whois Privacy is the service offered by different domain registrars to protect personal information of the domain owner like address, phone number, email address etc. If you do not enable privacy, your details can be easily viewed on any whois lookup service.
How to save dollars and get FREE WHOIS privacy for any domain on your Name.com profile?
- Login to your Name.com account and navigate to Account section where you can find the details about your existing products.
- Check all the domain whois privacy checkboxes and click on "renew checked products". If you cannot find such whois privacy details, click on the domain name to go to domain info page and enable whois privacy details.
- You will now be taken to shopping cart where have to enter the Promo code as: FREEWHOIS. If you are not redirected, click on Your Cart in the top right corner.
- Now, you can notice that all your shopping cart amount get converted to discount and you need not have to pay anything. As the shopping cart account gets reduced to $0, you can proceed without a credit card. Click on Account Credit radio button for your payment option.
- Accept the terms and checkout.
Here comes the secret which I called as bug. You can repeat the above process any number of time to get all your domains’ whois privacy extended to 1 more year every time you checkout. If you have numerous domains and you renew privacy of each to say 5-10 years, you have saved even more than $100. Note that if they are not fixing this issue, you can extend your whois privacy for an unlimited period of time.
Here is the proof that I have renewed WHOIS privacy of my domains for a long time.
Note: If you are registering a new .com/.net domain with Name.com, you may use the coupon code COMASYOUARE which can get you a domain for $8.25.
People who liked this also read: